In 1899, the San Antonio Water Works Company, through its
president, George W. Brackenridge, donated 199 acres to the
City of San Antonio for a public park. This tract comprises the
largest portion of the park that today bears Brackenridge’s name.
The park officially opened to the public in 1901. There was still
an operating rock quarry west of the park leased by the City to
stone cutters since the mid-1800s.
In 1880, Alamo Portland and
Roman Cement Company (later called Alamo Cement Company)
began to use the quarry. When the company needed rail lines
to expand production, it purchased a new site and closed its
Brackenridge Park operation in 1908…